Monday, December 29, 2008

For Rowie

Much to my surprise and after ten years on my own, I find myself in love. The funny thing is, it's happened in just the way people say it's supposed to: unexpectedly, suddenly and just as I stopped looking. No speed dating, online dating sites or fix-ups involved. I simply turned a corner one night last July and there he was.

So, indulge me. This one's for him.

You are the most beautiful man I have ever known. Beautiful on the outside and even more beautiful on the inside. You are genuine and kind with a smile that never seems to leave your face. When I spend time with you, I feel like I'm seeing the world in a way I'd forgotten. There are possibilities again. There's a calm that I haven't felt in a long time. There's silliness and laughter and ice cream. There are comfortable long stretches of time where we do nothing but lie there and talk. There's trust and there's hope and there are plans for the future.

I'm not the only one who thinks you're special. One of your friends refers to you as the bravest man he knows. Your other friends have told me how much they love you, rely on you and enjoy being around you. My own family has given their stamp of approval to the point that they will most likely take your side in any arguments we might have. My nephew already thinks of you as his buddy. And you're just one gingerbread man costume away from winning my brother over, which is no small feat.

You've reminded me of how love is meant to feel. Easy. Uncomplicated. Simple. Certain. If I seem unfazed by periods of time apart, it's simply because I have absolutely no doubt that all those periods are temporary. I believe you're always with me and I promise I'm always with you.

It took 10 years to fall in love again. But you were absolutely worth every minute of the wait.

I love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As what as I have been always believing that all things that happens in life have its own purpose. When I saw you that night ,you are the VERY ONE of them all. And I love you so much because you are real you - love you sooooooooooooooooooo much!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG. I am crying !!! I can't wait to meet Rowie....

Scott